A folio number is a unique identifier assigned by a mutual fund house to an investor’s account. It helps in tracking all the investments, transactions, and holdings within a specific mutual fund scheme of an investor. It acts as an account number for your investments in a mutual fund company.
- Folio Number Meaning
- Folio Number Example
- What is folio number in mutual fund?
- Features of a Folio Number
- How to Check my Folio Number?
- Quick Summary
Folio Number Meaning
The folio number is the specific number assigned to each investor’s mutual fund account by the Asset Management Company (AMC). This number plays a crucial role in keeping track of the investor’s portfolio across different mutual fund schemes and aids in seamlessly managing the investment account.
Consider this example – if Mr. Sharma invests in an HDFC mutual fund, he will be assigned a unique folio number like 1234567/89. If he invests in another scheme under the same AMC, it will be registered under the same folio number. Hence, the folio number acts as a consolidated account number to manage and track all the investments within the same AMC.
Folio Number Example
An example of a folio number could be “HDF1234567.” This unique number would be given to an investor by the mutual fund house, in this case, HDFC, when they first make an investment. The first part, ‘HDF,’ may represent the mutual fund house, and the numeric part, ‘1234567,’ is the unique identifier for the investor.
Subsequent investments made by the investor in the same mutual fund house will be recorded under the same folio number. Therefore, a folio number allows the investor and the mutual fund house to track all transactions and investments made under it.
What is folio number in mutual fund?
In the context of mutual funds, a folio number works much like an account number in a bank. It is a unique identifier assigned by the Asset Management Company (AMC) when an investor first purchases units of a mutual fund scheme from that AMC. The folio number enables the AMC to keep track of all the transactions of an investor within that particular scheme.
A folio number helps in consolidating all the investments made in various schemes of a single AMC under one umbrella, making it easy for the investor to manage and track their investments. It records the investor’s personal details, their holdings, and their transaction history.
Once a folio number is assigned, it is used for all future transactions with the same mutual fund scheme by the investor. If an investor buys units in a different scheme offered by the same AMC, they can choose to use the same folio number for that scheme as well, thus further simplifying the management of multiple mutual fund investments.
Features of a Folio Number
The main feature of a folio number is that it is different and serves as a unique identifier. It distinguishes an investor’s account from others, ensuring all transactions are accurate and specific to the investor’s account.
- Transaction Tracking: Folio numbers track all transactions related to a specific account, including purchases, sales, and dividends. It acts as a reference point for both the investor and the fund company to check the status and history of transactions.
- Consolidation of Investments: If an investor holds multiple investments in the same mutual fund, these can be consolidated under one folio number. This makes the management of multiple investments easier and more efficient.
- Helps in Reporting: The folio number is crucial in generating financial reports, account statements, and tax documents. It helps to ensure that the information is accurate and relates specifically to the investor’s account.
- Ease of Access: With a folio number, an investor can easily access their investment details online, including the units held, Net Asset Value (NAV), and total value of investments. This enhances transparency and allows investors to make informed decisions about their investments.
How to Check my Folio Number?
Typically, you would be able to find your folio number from your mutual fund statement, which you receive via email or physical mail from the mutual fund company or your stockbroker. However, the process to check the folio number may vary depending on the specific stockbroker platform you use. Here is a general guide:
- Log in to your online brokerage account.
- Navigate to the ‘Portfolio’ or ‘Investments’ section of the platform. This is generally where you can view all your investments.
- Find your mutual fund investments. If you have invested in mutual funds through this broker, they should be listed here.
- Look for your folio number associated with each mutual fund investment. It is usually displayed along with other details such as the fund name, units owned, NAV, etc.
- If you cannot locate your folio number, or if your platform doesn’t provide this information, you can directly contact your broker’s customer service or the mutual fund company for assistance.
Please note that each mutual fund you invest in will have a unique folio number, so if you have invested in multiple mutual funds, you will have multiple folio numbers.
Do you want to expand your knowledge about mutual funds? We’ve got a list of must-read blogs that will help you do just that. Just click on the articles to find out more.
What Is Folio Number- Quick Summary
- A folio number is a unique identifier assigned to an investor’s mutual fund account.
- It helps track investments, transactions, and holdings within a mutual fund scheme.
- The folio number acts as an account number for investments in a mutual fund company.
- It is assigned by the Asset Management Company (AMC) and plays a crucial role in managing the investment account.
- Subsequent investments by the investor in the same mutual fund house are recorded under the same folio number.
- Start your investment journey with Alice Blue. They are offering a user friendly direct platform at no cost.
Folio Number Meaning – FAQs
1. What Is Folio Number?
A folio number is a unique identification number assigned to an investor’s mutual fund or securities account. This number aids in tracking transactions, consolidating investments, and generating accurate financial reports. It also simplifies online access to investment details, such as units held, Net Asset Value (NAV), and total value of investments.
2. Where can I find my folio number?
Your folio number can be found on your account statements, transaction acknowledgments, or any other official communication from your mutual fund company or stockbroker.
3. How do I find my mutual fund by folio number?
You can use your folio number to track your mutual fund investments through the respective mutual fund’s website or your stockbroker’s platform, like Alice blue:
- First, log in and navigate to the portfolio or investment section
- Enter your folio number, and access detailed information about your mutual fund holdings.
4. Why is the folio number important?
The folio number is akin to your financial fingerprint. It uniquely identifies your investment account, enabling accurate tracking of transactions and streamlined management of your investments. It’s your go-to reference for financial reporting, tax documentation, and online access to your investment details.
5. What is the difference between folio number and certificate number?
The main difference between a folio number and a certificate number is that a folio number is a unique identifier assigned to an investor’s mutual fund account for tracking investments, transactions, and holdings. In contrast, a certificate number is a unique identifier assigned to a specific security or share certificate representing ownership of a particular asset.